Monday, September 7, 2009

plan B

Hello Everyone! thank you so much for praying...I just wanted to let you know how things are here. I now have an official(ish) schedule of my life, though currently I'm not there because of rides/ feeling sick, ect.

Here it is!

Monday morning- I will either be teaching English in the Widow's ministry or taking part in Prison Ministry. At 12:30 there is a Bible Study for all the women in City ministries- we are doing the Beth Moore Esther study. So far it has been really good. The Afternoon is for preparation of anything I need for the rest of the week plus all the nessicary things like shopping for food in the market, ect.

Tuesday mornings I will be team teaching Math and Social studies to the Boys at Gidan Bege. Every other weekday they go through the ACE literacy curriculum with their Teacher Mama Alex. Then I will help with the Medical Outreach for GB. Tuesdays it is a Christian outreach and they will be doing some deeper Bible studies with the women who come to the clinic. In the Afternoon I will be spending time with the boys in either discipleship/Biblestudy stuff or crafts and learning Games.

Wednesday I will go to GB for the Muslim women medical outreach. Last week I spent time with their kids drawing and learning bits of Hausa from the women. I may also learn some simple medical things to help in the actual clinic. In the Afternoon there is the blindtown medical outreach. Blindtown is the highly Muslim area where the poorest live. Many people there are afflicted with river blindness or leperosy. We give medications, take blood pressure (since high blood pressure and diabetes is common because of the diet) and play with the kids.

Thursday I will be teaching english with the Widows and then spending time with the boys in discipleship, crafts, and reading.

Fridays I will be in school with the boys again and come home before 1:30 for various safety reasons.

I am also waiting to hear from UFM, an organization that does brothel outreach and has a one year program for women coming out of prostitution. When it starts up I will probably do that a few days a week. Please pray for the leadership of City ministries and UFM as they figure out how we can work together.

Also, pray that I'll know what to do with the boys... I need to figure out some kind of structure for Biblestudy and activities to fill time and help with learning. The boys in this stage of the program are just off the streets. They stay at GB for 3-6 months as a trial period and most have been to little if any school. This week some of the boys at GB are graduating to Gyero or Transition House. Six will be left, and there is a waiting list of boys to be let into the program. Pray for wisdom with the new boys.

Pray for boldness and that I'll be able to relate to people despite language barriers. Some days I'm really good at getting into the culture, and other days I just want to retreat. Pray that I'll be focused on people and Jesus, not on all the things I think I should get done.

Pray for the Muslims durring Raamadan (month of fasting). Yesterday morning I woke up at 5 am to the sound of prayers and chanting. My only thought was, that is the sound of people dying without Christ. Pray that God reveal himself to them while they are trying so hard to be good enough to make it to heaven. Pray that christians will be a light to them in everyday interactions. If you want more info on praying durring Raamaday see www.30-days.net.

If you have any ideas of things to try with the boys email me at hollyraeabbe@gmail.com!

thanks again for praying!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have some amazing opportunities! I'm praying for you!

    p.s. I know you want the ideas to be emailed, but I'm lazy..haha

    Have you tried CEF stuff? Wordless book? Missionary Stories? Some of the Gospel-filled songs? You can write out the songs if you don't have them with you...

    or...
    just play a lot of games with them and show love to them. Read them Bible stories and have them act them out, or draw pictures, or write a song...the possibilities are endless! When I was in Zambia, I had to come up with stuff too, and the acting out of plays together as a group and reading in interesting ways worked really well :) Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what good suggestions ! If you are just playing games, kids always like Duck Duck Goose... who knows why, but they love it...

    ReplyDelete